[TN-Bird] Re: baby owls, warblers, moths and such

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:24:57 -0500 (EST)

This seemed early to me too.  I just looked back at my records and
see that I had baby Great Horned Owls last year on 20 Feb 2003.
These were fledglings heard and eventually seen a few nights
later moving about the woods.

What I heard Saturday morning was the adult pair (one lower pitched,
one higher pitched) calling one right after the other.  They seemed
to be about 25 yds or so apart.  Then I heard the screeching call
from what seemed to be at least two birds about 50 yds away from the
parents... roughly in the location of a large cedar grove in the woods.
It reminded me of parent bluebirds trying to coax the youngsters out
of the nest for the first time.  This went on for at least 5-10 minutes
and was still going on but I went back to bed.

I first heard this screeching call last year and used the Stokes Bird
Song CDs to ID it as a begging call of fledgling GH Owls.  That was
confirmed when I saw and heard the fledglings a few days later.

I don't have my recent records computerized yet and they're at home
now but from memory, we've been hearing the owls in the neighborhood
regularly since at least November I think.

I'll see if I can track down the young and confirm.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN