[TN-Bird] YB Cuckoo, Davidson Co.; Bewick's Wren, Sumner Co.

  • From: JanKShaw@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tnwarbler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:22:53 EST

The following was sent to me today by Jim Hiett of Nashville.
Jan Shaw
Nashville, TN
Davidson Co.

Jan:

Hello.  I am not presently on TnBirds so I have to scout people up to post
reports.

I had a very early Yellow-billed cuckoo on Monday, March 14 over on Corning
Dr. (Davidson Co.) while working all day outside my parents' house.  I caught
him/her clucking at about 10 a.m. and then finally visually located the bird in
heavy brush at the back of the yard. At least one pair has bred near there
for the past 9-10 years.  The bird called on and off all day.  Then, the very
next day, March 15 in my own yard on Dustin (Davidson Co.), I heard but never
saw, another Yellow-billed.  They also breed regularly near or in my yard..

I didn't realize that April 3 was a confirmed early date (is it still?) when
we discussed records last year.  I have actually recorded Yellow-billed cuckoo
on Dustin as early as March 20 (1993), and almost every year before April 1.

Looks like this might be an "early" year for other species.

The Bewick's Wrens have reappeared at Vol State Community College (Sumner
Co.).  I have tried, unsuccessfully, to catch them all winter long -- I know
they
must be around but just quiet.  My first sighting was on Sunday, March 6 and
that bird was carrying nesting material.  At one point there were two,
possibly three, other Bewick's calling simultaneously from various quarters
within a
1/8 mile radius near the Science Field Station on the far NW corner of the
campus. Also had Am. Woodcock and 7 sparrow sp. in that same spot.  May be a
bonus year for the wrens if the college does not finally "clean up all the
mess"
(and thus destroy all the habitat.).

Pass it along if you wish.  I will try to be more timely in the future.

Happy birding.

Jim Hiett
Nashville, TN
Davidson Co.