[TN-Bird] Wrens wintering in Phoebe Nest

  • From: "William T. Thornton" <wtthornton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 10:25:55 -0600

For the past week, I have been trying to determine what bird has taken over the
old Phoebe nest built high on a ledge in my carport.  I could only see the tip
of a few feathers at night whenever the security light would come on -- not
enough bird was showing to make an identification.  Last evening, when I
stepped out to the carport and the lights clicked on, one Wren flew from the
nest and one Wren sat up high in the nest.  I am happy that these two little
birds have a warm place to roost thanks to the Phoebe.

This year was not a good one for the Phoebes that have nested here for the past
three years.  In previous years, the pair of birds have successfully fledged
two or three clutches of eggs per season.  This year the Phoebes arrived
earlier than usual, built a fine new nest, and then before laying any eggs
disappeared for several weeks during a cold snap.  When they returned, they
busied themselves moving the nest to another corner on the carport ledge,
wasting one egg by letting it fall to the floor.  They fledged three young and
left in the early summer not to return.

I have seen Wrens roosting at night at other locations (they generally tuck
their head under their wing and appear to be just a small fluff of soft downy
feathers).  This is the first time I've ever seen Wrens roosting in another
species nest.  Maybe they will stay the winter!

Terry Thornton
Rinnie, TN (North of Crossville on the Cumberland Plateau)