[TN-Bird] Winter Birds

  • From: jwalk821@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 02:28:35 +0000 (UTC)

10/27/12
On this extremely chilly morning, I decided to bird our yard. I was startled to
find 3 Hermit Thrushes braving the weather. Other notable birds were a few
Ruby-crowned and Golden-crowned Kinglets, 6 Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, several
White-throated Sparrows, and 1 Winter Wren that is probably the same bird I
found a week before.
10/28/12
This morning we ventured out to Pace Point. We were happy to see a large raft
of over 100 American Coots floating along one side of the point. On the other
side, we were very surprised to see 2 other rafts of ducks--one consisting of
lots of Ruddy Ducks, and the other with Ruddy Ducks, several Lesser Scaups, and
two Buffleheads. Near them were 2 Horned Grebes and 5 Pied-billed Grebes. 2
American White Pelicans walked and swam around the point as well, and one had a
green clip on its right wing which was probably carrying some electronic
device.
The fields at the Bennet's Creek Overlook hosted 1 Dark-eyed Junco, several
Swamp, Song, and White-throated Sparrows, and a couple of Field, Chipping, and
Lincoln's Sparrows, but no Leconte's or Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrows. The
nearby trees were alive with woodland birds such as many Yellow-rumped and Pine
Warblers, one Blackburnian Warbler, several Ruby-crowned Kinglets, and Eastern
Phoebes. In the creek were lots of Mallards, a few Blue-winged Teal and
Gadwall, and a surprisingly large amount of American Crows walking on the mud
(and occasionally chasing a Ring-billed Gull).
At Eagle Creek we were delighted to see a flock of between 20 and 30 Pine
Siskins and 1 juvenile Red-headed Woodpecker, as well as 9 more pelicans just
waking up from their sleep.

Good Cool Weather Birding,
Chloe Walker
Murfreesboro, TN