[TN-Bird] Wilson's Phalarope at Ensley Bottoms

  • From: Anthony D Whitted <awhitted@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 18:03:12 -0700

This afternoon about 5:30pm, Sun. July 13, 2003, I birded Ensley Bottoms in
Memphis, TN. in Shelby Co., TN.  One of the best birds was a beautiful male
WILSON'S PHALAROPE in a Spring plumage that is just starting to fade to a
Fall plumage. This bird was seen back behind the Lagoon Maintenance Shop off
of Riverport Rd. making a left behind the shop and the 2nd road on the right
and at the end of the 2nd pond on the left along the tree line. As Jeff
mentioned in his post earlier this morning, there were 1000's of shorebirds
there. Lots of Least SP, few Western SP, Semipalmated SP, Pectoral SP, 100's
of Killdeer and probably a few more species that I couldn't get to before
thethunderstorm started to hit.
I also saw 2 LEAST TERNS at the TVA ponds on top of the hill off of Plant
Rd.and a WESTERN KINGBIRD catching insects like crazy. I'm adding state
birdsleft and right this week.

I also saw an Adult BALD EAGLE just out behind the TVA ponds as well.