[TN-Bird] Willet, etc./ Shelby Farms

  • From: "William Peeples" <wpeeples@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 10:02:47 -0500

Thursday, July 8, 2004
Shelby Farms
Shelby Co., TN

    I checked the fish ponds at Shelby Farms this morning; after about an hour
and a half search in the back ponds, I still was not able to find the Common
Moorhen which has been seen there recently.  I did see the Pied-billed Grebes;
5 juvenals in one pond and 2 adults and 3 smaller young in the next pond.
Apparently they've had a second brood.
    At and around the ponds there were a large number of swallows (maybe 200
total), which were mostly Barns, with 25 or so Rough-wings and about that many
Purple Martins, plus a Bank Swallow.  Also a Black Tern adult flew by.
    The best find was a Willet, seen on the levee by the large pond as I was
leaving.  In the exotic category were a Chinese Goose (with Canadas) and a
beautiful (Australian) Black Swan, in the front ponds behind the main public
fishing pond.
    The policy there for birders now is to tell the person on duty at the small
building what you are doing; they've never given any one a problem as far as I
know, then walk (driving no longer allowed) into the ponds behind the public
pond.

Rob Peeples
Germantown, TN