[TN-Bird] Wildlife parade

  • From: Robbie Hassler <drhass@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 23:14:06 -0500

TN-birders.....
This was one of those days a wildlife lover waits for.  At 7:30 am, a
Chuck-wills- widow started singing in the edge of my yard, for about five
minutes-- two Yellow-breasted Chats competing for just about anything-- a crow
has been quietly and systematically walking through the grass collecting a bill
full of insects for young--Tree swallows are nesting in the gourds, after a two
year absence, due to aggressive Bluebirds, plus all the other regulars that
nest here.
At 2:20 PM I looked out in the fresh cut grass and saw a  snake head sticking
up about six inches, then suddenly it dropped it's head and started rooting
through the grass searching for insects(?) It found something that I watched
slide down that beautiful, skinny, five foot black body.  This continued for 45
minutes or more as it moved all about the yard, finally going into the woods.
I have never seen this action out of a Black Racer before.
Then out of the woods a lone Wild turkey hen crept into the yard picking up
anything that looked like food.  I suspect she has a nest closeby.  As she came
to a dusty spot, she took a good dust bath.
Lying on her side she scratched up dust all over her body, rolled her neck in
it, then shuffled all those feathers.  How can one bird act so clumsy--yet
beautiful in this age old ritual.
Robbie Hassler
Byrdstown, TN
Pickett Co