[TN-Bird] Wild Weekend - August 10-12

  • From: BEAMERWITT@xxxxxxx
  • To: TN-BIRD@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ddonsker@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 21:51:57 EDT

I had Friday through Sunday off and decided to try and catch up on some of
the goodies being seen statewide.  After wrapping up a few things here  Friday
morning, August 10,  I first checked out the Discovery Center in  Murfreesboro
only to find an Olive-sided Flycatcher present for a first county  record.  4
hours later I arrived at TVA Lake and Ensley Bottoms near  Memphis.  No sign
of the Mottled Duck until a last minute save at dusk, but  at least no hassles
from the authorities!  Jeff Wilson has already posted  our other sightings
such as they were, the company was good even if the birding  was middling at
best.  After spending the night in Tunica, no gambling  losses for a change! I
spent 3 hours at Eagle Lake Refuge the next morning  looking for YB Flycatcher
and Mourning Warbler without success - very little  passerine movement noted.
3 Black-necked Stilts complained bitterly about  being disturbed and 2 Greater
Yellowlegs were hanging around.  The drive  home was uneventful, and after
reading the postings about the continued presence  of the Sooty Tern in E
Tennessee, I decided to give it a go today. I left  home at 0330 and four hours
after arrival at Musick's with no sign of the bird,  my tail between my legs,
headed back west, with 2 additional stops  planned.  Kingston Steam Plant is
always worth a look, and on arrival, a  Common Tern was perched on the mud but
soon flew off.  A few shorebirds  were present with 2 Sanderlings, 1 Spotted
SP, 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, several  Least and Semisands, a few Semi-plovers, 1 SB
Dowitcher, several  pecs.   There was no sign of the Buff-breasted SP seen
yesterday,  and as all the shorebirds flew about several times, I don't think
he
was  there.  My last try was for the White Ibis reported by Steve Stedman in
White County.  There were 2 Great Egrets and 1 GBH present at the pond, but
no sign of the Ibis :-(   The habitat looks excellent, and he may very  well
stick around.  About 20 miles west of Cookeville, I became mired in a  massive
traffic jam apparently from a multi-vehicle collision.  After 90  minutes, I
was finally able to exit I-40 and limp on home.  It was really  amazing in one
frantic weekend, to be able to bird from the far western edge of  the state all
the way to the eastern tip, and along the way see several old  friends and
hopefully make a few new ones in the process

Terry Witt
Murfreesboro Tn