[TN-Bird] Whatever it was still hasn't come back

  • From: FINCH64@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 18:12:32 EST

I've checked the feeder on and off and taken video of the feeder several
times when it was active.
A pair of Purple Finches have definitely come to stake out the feeder. I've
taken quite alot of film of them. I just can't make the male Purple Finch be
the bird that I saw. The color is all wrong. The bird I saw was solid burgundy
red from the top of it's head, it's entire breast and belly except for a little
bit of white way underneath it. The bird I saw from the top of it's round
head to the belly alone was the size of an entire Purple Finch (head to tail).
The bird I saw the other day had black beady eyes that were definitely
noticeable from the rest of it's face. The male Purple Finch I've caught on
film today
and the other day has eyes that I can barely discern from the rest of the
color on it's head. It's eyes blend in with the darkness of the plumage on its
head. The male Purple Finch today DID sit on the edge of the feeder and he sits
with his belly on the edge and leaning forward. The bird the other day sat more
like an owl - straight up and had more of that look about it when it was
looking straight at me. Actually I think it was looking in the direction of the
window where I was standing and our pet Budgerigar was chirping and the bird
probably heard our parakeet and was looking in the direction of that noise.
Also
when I first looked out at the feeder and noticed the bird I said to myself,
"What the heck is that?" If it was a Purple Finch I probably would have said,
"Oh a little House Finch" and never paid it any mind.

But the bird is gone and if nobody else - especially a more experienced
birder saw it - that's all I have is my memory of it - oh well. "C'est la vie"
or
is it "C'est la guerre"? Not sure which I feel like using right now.

I think I know what it is like to be someone who has seen the Loch Ness
monster or Bigfoot or an alien and didn't have a camera handy ;-) Guess where
the
video cam is from now on? ;-) With two charged batteries AND I'll keep a
constant supply of film cartridges for it as well. And if I can't get to the
camera
or binoculars or guide book or whatever I know that you
don't-take-your-eyes-off-the-bird-until-it-flies-away. That is like my new
mantra to remember. ;-)

Only other thing of note is six Black Vultures landed in our yard yesterday.
They stayed for a bit - not sure why.  Pecking here and there at something on
the ground. Then some of them flew up into a tree in our yard. Then they all
flew off. Today I looked out and saw two Black Vultures in a tree right near
where the others were yesterday. Must be some animal dead in the woods behind
our house.

Barry Jernigan
Murfreesboro, Rutherford Co, TN