[TN-Bird] What were those??

  • From: Oligobird@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 10:48:57 EST

I do not know if I was halucinating this morning at 8.30 AM.  Sat on the
porch, I first saw a group of about 6 birds busily flycatching thirty feet
above
the roof. In the dull light the most likely ID was purple martins - dark short
wings, spotty gray beneath, swirling about swiftly. Surely this is too late in
the fall, but what else? Any other late fall flycatching birds in small
flocks? Not chimney swifts for sure. Then, a real puzzle. Two very large birds,
gliding by very swiftly, some hundred feet high, no wing beat through a 90
degree
arc of sky. Wings against the gray sky appear black, the neck outstretched,
head and neck white. Feet trailing, but the brief view and failing short term
memory lead to unclear idea about tail length.  The birds were headed due north
from just below Lebanon, Wilson Co. As a long-term birder, the sight elicited
the immediate response " that is something really strange".  I am very
familiar with sand hill cranes, and figure it is early for them to be passing,
and
just as a pair exhibiting such a long glide seemed unusual. Also, the clear
contrast between neck/head and the apparently black, long narrow wings and the
body do not quite match.  Some of the observations, gliding and color,  seem
reminiscent of frigate birds but I have no recollection of the long tail, which
can be folded and not look bifid of course. This species I have seen
extensively in the past, but unless anyone saw these birds in my area I am
certainly not
going to give any credence to that ID.  Help anyone? Thanks Ralph Brinkhurst
Lebanon, Wilson County