[TN-Bird] Western kingbirds Update

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 19:40:22 EDT

July 3, 2003
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

Had a slow work day, so I made it down to Ensley for an hour before lunch.
One pair of Western Kingbirds were feeding at least two young and possibly a
third at the nest. These young birds looked as if they will be leaving the nest
within the week. The other pair do not appear to have hatch any yet but one of
the birds is disappearing into one area and not coming out so I believe it is
still sitting on eggs. I have yet to find a place from which to view this
nest. So, there are at least 6 western Kingbirds at the TVA Plant. I'll try to
nail the other nesting down tomorrow when I'll have more time.

Black-necked Stilts continue hatching fuzzy balls of fluff. Three, really
small chicks, were testing out short rubbery legs today while a pair of
elegantly
attired, proud and protective parents escorted them around. Nine Least
Sandpipers were seen feeding on one flat. Killdeer of all ages pace the flats
in big
numbers. This long weekend should be interesting as to the subtle changes in
the season that are becoming more evident each day.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.