[TN-Bird] Western Kingbird and Scissor-tailed Flycatcher nestings in Memphis!

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, albirds@xxxxxxxxxxx, gsknight@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, dempseyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 16:06:41 EDT

Ensley Bottoms and
President's Island
Shelby County,
Memphis, TN
Today, after much searching at Ensley, I finally located an adult Western
Flycatcher feeding two fully fledged, flying young. One nest on one of the
towers, that I expected to hatch this week, looks to have been destroyed, as
material was hanging down from the framing and no birds were around.

I decided to go across to President's Island to see if any of these birds
could be found over in the industrial park. The many previous trips this year
have proved unproductive. Not so today; as I cruised around checking all the
wires and fences, I saw a distant bird that certainly look flycatchery. I put
my
glasses on the bird and said yes and then NO. The bird had a yellowish breast
and short tail but it also had a huge bill and the tail had a notch in it.
Scissor-tailed Female!

I soon located a suspected nest near her perch but could not see anything in
it; she suddenly got all excited and then a long-tailed male flew in carrying
food. Tiny heads popped up, these were brand new babies no more than one day
old that could barely hold their fuzzy heads up. Photos were in order and I
eventually counted 4 heads. The female never did hunt or feed the young, she
would just fly up to the nest, situated on a metal cross bar on a telephone
pole
and proudly look at her handy work. The male made numerous feeding trips while
I was there.

I have seen quite a few Scissor-tailed FC in Memphis but this is my first
nesting pair in Shelby Co!!

For photos try: http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot  and scroll down to
Scissor-tailed Album

Now it's off to Lauderdale Co. to see what's in up there.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN