[TN-Bird] Western Kingbird/ Scissor-tail FC nestings - 7-4-08 Update - Memphis

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 19:18:15 EDT

July 4, 2008
Shelby Co. TN

I finally located the Western Kingbird nest in Ensley Bottoms. That now
makes 10 active nests at 5 locations in Memphis. I suspect there are at least
two
more but I can't get a bead on those two sites, maybe before the weekend is
up.

The 2 nests in Frayser have produced young and I have confirmed both  females
are hybrids, same as last year. The first nest was built too far from  the
road and in a restricted area but I saw both hybrid females out foraging
today.
The pair from this first nest was feeding at least 2 fledged young.  The
second more accessible nest had the female sitting on Monday when Gail King
and I
had a couple from Quebec out for some southern specialties. Today she was
feeding 3 small young at the nest. The male Western was shading the young while

the female brought in the groceries.

At the Levee Road site, at least 2 nests were feeding young while the other
two were just sitting Wednesday. At the Chelsea nest site young were being
fed.  At the McLemore nests, the first nest fledged 4 young while the second
nest
has  evidently hatched young some time since Wednesday as both adults were
hunting  and returning to the nest. The nest is in a difficult place to see
inside.

Two Western Kingbirds were found on President's Island about 2 miles apart
and seemed to be traveling and just flycatching for themselves.

I also finally located the hybrid female Scissor-t/ Western that is  paired
with a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher male. Since she was late getting here  and the
Eastern's had taken her nest site she moved to the east and was seen  earlier
in the week feeding fledged young. I located her behind the Fire Station  in
a tree but she lost me when she flew down the RR tracks. Monday when we  were
on President's Island the other Scissor-tail pair had at least 3 young  maybe
four in the nest, those had fledged today and moved away from the  street.

Lots of young Scissor-tails and Kingbirds around Memphis!

Good Birding  !!!
Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that  lifts my heart to the heavens.

fuel-efficient used cars.

                       MAP RESOURCES