[TN-Bird] WF Ibis a no show today

  • From: <terrywitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 18:51:29 -0500

I decided to take a chance that the inclement weather/ cold front might not
have pushed the ibis away but despite numerous tries today between 0730 and
1230, there was no sign of the bird.  I spoke briefly with Nancy Moore, and to
the best of her knowledge, it was not seen yesterday either, but there may not
have been any searchers.  Thanks to Mark Greene and the Clendenens for the
excellent directions.

There are plenty of other birds around though.  I made a concerted effort at
the Air Park Inn campground and nature trail near the lagoon for the A Tree
Sparrows without success.  There are a number of Fox Sparrows around, and at
the beginning of the trail, a very sharp Orange-crowned Warbler was seen.

Numerous Lapland Longspurs are mixed with the ubiquitous Horned Larks on the
road to Phillipy pits.  Northern Harriers are everywhere, and I saw more
Loggerhead Shrikes than Mockingbirds!

There is a nice gull roost behind the prison which today at 11 AM had several
thousand RB Gulls, and I was also able to pick out one first year Thayers out
of the mix.  There could easily be some other goodies here, there were always
at least 4 or 5 gulls coming and going the entire time I was there.  To reach
the birds, take Tn 212 off Hwy 78 and turn right on Carrington Road at the T.
Take the next left on a presently unmarked road just past the prison, and then
bear left on the signed Proctor City Road.  In about half a mile you will see a
large expanse of water (ice today) and lots of gulls.  The roads in the Delorme
do not match with these directions?????  The lake may be the blue area just
south of Cronanville in the atlas.  This is the same general area that Jeff
Wilson has found Thayers, California, and Iceland Gulls in the past.  Hope this
helps, I would be interested if anyone else checks the birds tomorrow

Cheers

Terry Witt
Murfreesboro Tn

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES