[TN-Bird] WANTED: Cerulean Warbler records

  • From: Melinda Welton <weltonmj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tnbird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 14:58:48 -0500

Dear all
Less is known about Cerulean Warbler migration than we know about many
(most?) warblers, and since this is the fastest declining songbird in
eastern North America, we need to know as much as we can about all aspects
of its annual cycle. With the exception of a few birds seen here and there
during spring and fall migration, the majority of Ceruleans seem to
disappear from the breeding grounds in late summer and show up on the
wintering grounds in northern South America. The same thing happens in the
spring. The question is where are they?

For the last several years I’ve been working on identifying Cerulean Warbler
stopover locations in Central America, and now I’m trying to do the same
thing for the southern U.S. with Paul Hamel. (Paul is the author of the
Cerulean Warbler species account in the Birds of North America series. This
information will be helpful as we plan to update that account.)

It has been postulated that in spring, Ceruleans may regularly overfly the
coastal areas near the Gulf, and we’re suggesting that the birds may be
flying directly to the south end of the breeding range.

We’ve harvested the data submitted to ebird and the fabulous dataset on
birds from Kennesaw Mtn <www.georgia-birds.com/KMT/index.htm>, but we want
more.

Please send your early spring Cerulean Warbler observations to ebird
<www.ebird.org>, or directly to me. We’re looking for dates in March and
April.

Please make note of the number of Ceruleans, the date, sex, location (GPS is
best, otherwise include a description detailed enough that we can guestimate
the lat/long),  and if you are hearing the bird in a known Cerulean breeding
area.

Thank you in advance. Now you have another excuse to go birding!!

Melinda Welton
Research Associate, Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
5241 Old Harding Road
Franklin, TN 37064
Phone: 615-799-8095
email: weltonmj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx