[TN-Bird] W Tennesse ramblings, Sunday

  • From: Terry Witt <terrywitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Caryl Witt <caryl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chad Smith <kingbird09@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 18:47:34 -0700

0800, Tiptonville ferry landing/city park
Rain off and on, visibility of the sandbar limited
Thousands of swallows on the wires, all 6 species
All the martins were juvies
Plenty of Cliff Swallows, I bet there was a Cave to be had, but, viewing
conditions marginal, and every time I had a suspect, a vehicle came along and
flushed all the birds
Probably the best chance I will ever have for this species in Tn

1000, Island 13, road still fine for any vehicle, habitat still great
Where are all the birds???
A quick scan revealed a Peregrine Falcon having a shorebird breakfast at the
south end  of the lake
Only about 50 individuals present, but good variety:
Killdeer, SP Plovers, 2 breeding plumaged BB Plovers
Least SP some, 4 Baird's SP a few Spotties, 3 Sanderlings

Pond at Hwy 79 and Great River Road
One can access the area by hiking down the levee east, through the break in the
vegetation just south of all the signs for the intersection, and walking 300
yards farther south
Good habitat, 100+ shorebirds, nothing unusual

Ensley:  best showing I have had there in some time
Thousands of shorebirds present, water has been added to many ponds
Lots of new duck arrivals:  50+ Mallards at TVA lake, N Shovelers around, 300
BW Teals
5 Avocets, 1 Willet, in the pond where the BB Whistling-Ducks hang out
1 SB Dowitcher, 1 Stilt SP, thousands of Least SPs, loads of Lesser YL and
Pectoral SPs
Did not spend a lot of time with the peeps, Semi-sands for sure, did not see
Western or Baird's

Mud Lake:  arrived 1730, planned to spend an hour looking mostly for Wood
Storks
Birds were reported earlier in the week from Tunica, which is only 15 or so
miles south
There were many waders present, mostly Great Egrets, but some GB Herons around
plus a few LB Herons and Snowy Egrets
The herons started coming in to roost about 1800.
Since birds were still coming in, I decided to stay until the activity stopped,
or the light disappeared
Around 1815, a single female Anhinga flew into the top of a small Cypress, and
prepared for the evening.
About 1900, finally, 30 Wood Storks arrived, circled the pond a few times and
joined the roost.
Would think this spot will be reliable for at least a few more weeks, either
early AM or dusk.  It is a real pain to access, with 2 barbed wire fences to
negotiate, and a muddy shore at the viewing area

Cheers

Terry Witt
Murfreesboro Tn