[TN-Bird] Vincent Road/Boat Ramp

  • From: leica2bird@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 11:46:41 -0500 (EST)

Yesterday I birded the area around the Vincent Road boat ramp in Hamilton
County.

I spent 3-4 hours birding from the boat ramp, and down the road at the curve in
the road. I've been told this area is called Walnut Point, but have not been
able to confirm this on a map yet.

There were numerous Common Loons, and Horned Grebes in this area. I spotted 2
Red-throated Loons from Walnut Point. It was nice to compare the size and
coloration of the Red-throated to the Common Loon which was near them. I find
Loons can be difficult to identify at times due to the distance/conditions we
are usually forced to endure. The Red-throated is delicately built compared to
the Common Loon which always reminds me of a battleship in size. It's neck is
whiter, thinner, and appears longer than a Common Loon. (am not sure if this is
true)  It's entire coloration is grayish white. They appear ghostly to me. And
then you have the definitive tilted thin bill.

I also had 10 female Red-breasted Mergansers at Walnut Point. I could also see
a large raft (400+) of mixed species of ducks down river. They were so far off,
and located in an area where we are not able to access, the only species for
sure I could identify were the male Canvasback ducks. Other species seen in the
area were Common Goldeneyes, Buffleheads, Mallards, Pied-billed Grebes,
Bonaparte Gulls, and one Double-crested Cormorant.

I also stopped at Booker T Washington S.P., and birded from the fishing piers.
I spotted another large raft (200+) of mixed species of ducks which consisted
of Canvasback, Common Goldeneyes, Redheads, Scaup, and Buffleheads. I did not
see any White-winged Scoters, or any other Scoter species in this raft.

Libby Wolfe
Ooltewah, TN