[TN-Bird] Upcoming nature walks in Oak Ridge

  • From: kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 16:37:02 -0400 (EDT)

One of the organizers told me I could post this announcement for upcoming
nature walks on the Oak Ridge Reservation.  Participation is free and open
to the public but space is limited and you must reserve in advance.  See
additional notes below.  The first of the 6 walks was in February.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN

NATURE WALKS SCHEDULE - SPRING 2012

On the Oak Ridge Reservation, located in east Tennessee, over 1100
vascular plants, 72 fish, 34 mammals and over 200 bird species have been
observed. This year the public is invited to six nature walks designed to
highlight not only the rich flora and fauna diversity of the reservation,
but also to demonstrate the work being done to sustainably manage and
conserve this resource. Walks will take place on several locations across
the Oak Ridge Reservation beginning in late winter through mid summer.

Reservations for the following events must be made in advance by noon the
Thursday prior to each walk by contacting Tracy Clem, 865-574-5151
(bodinetm@xxxxxxxx). If inclement weather forces postponement of an event,
it will be announced on ORNLs Information Line at 865-574-9836 (i.e.
574-XTEN) at least two hours before the scheduled walk.

More information about these walks is available by contacting Trent Jett
at 865-574-9188 (jettrt@xxxxxxxx).

Wildflower walk - Rainy Knob on Freels Bend
Date: Sunday, April 15
Location: Meet at the parking lot behind (i.e. south) the ORISE building
at corner of Bethel Valley and Pumphouse roads.
Time: 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Leader: Larry Pounds (individual)
Limit: 20 (children are allowed)
Recommendations: Walking will be off trail, but not in overly steep
terrain (distance about 3 miles). Since this is an off trail hike,
participants need to have good balance and stamina. This is rocky country.
We will see rocky sink holes and a cave entrance. We will also see the
unusual green violet and other native spring flowers.
Dress in layers, wear sturdy shoes, and bring bug spray and water.
No pets please.

Bird Walk - Poplar Creek/ETTP Beaver Pond and Vicinity
Date: Saturday, April 28
Location: Meet at ETTP visitors overlook, Oak Ridge Turnpike (Hwy 58)
Time: 7:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
Leader: Jim Evans (TWRA)
Limit: 25 (children are allowed)
Recommendations: Walking will be over level dirt/paved roads (distance 1-2
miles). Dress in layers, wear sturdy shoes, and bring bug spray, field
guide to birds, binoculars, and water. We should see osprey, red-headed
woodpecker, and many migrating warblers.
No pets please.

Fish and Aquatic insects - Bear Creek
Date: Saturday, May 12
Location: Meet at west guardhouse, Oak Ridge Turnpike (Hwy 58)
Time: 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Leader: Mike Ryon and Trent Jett (ORNL)
Limit: 15 (children are allowed)
Recommendations: We will visit lower Bear Creek where we will learn about
the local fish and aquatic insect populations that are native to the Oak
Ridge Reservation. Techniques for collection of aquatic organisms will be
demonstrated and participants will have an opportunity to help. Dress in
layers, wear sturdy shoes, and bring bug spray and water. Wear older shoes
or rubber boots if you would like to get in the creek and help!
No pets please.

Reptiles and amphibians inventory - Solway Bend
Date: Sunday, June 3
Location: Meet at the parking lot behind (i.e. south of) the ORISE
building at corner of Bethel Valley and Pumphouse Roads.
Time: 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Leader: John Byrd (CRESO)
Limit: 15 (children are allowed)
Recommendations: Walking will be through fields and over level dirt/gravel
roads (limited distances). Dress in layers, wear sturdy shoes, and bring
bug spray and water. We will collect several turtle species, talk about
local snake identification and discuss management of local herps
populations.
No pets please.

Invasive plants - various sites on Oak Ridge Reservation
Date: Saturday, July 14
Location: Meet at west guardhouse, Oak Ridge Turnpike (Hwy 58)
Time: 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Leader: Mike Ryon (ORNL)
Limit: 20 (children under the age of 10 not allowed)
Recommendations: This walk will be mostly carpooling to different sites on
the reservation to discuss the variety of invasive plants and impacts to
local flora and fauna. Walking will be limited at each site. Dress in
layers, wear sturdy shoes, and bring bug spray and water.
No pets please.

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                        Clemson, SC

                       MAP RESOURCES