[TN-Bird] Turkey Garage

  • From: "David & Gloria Patterson" <dgpatterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <SEFC-Birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 16:20:12 -0000

Carol Dunn, Houston Lane, Ooltewah, reports a Turkey nest and 8 fledged young
in her GARAGE.
Carol's house shares a large shaded lot with another large home.  Both houses
have their backs to White Oak Mountain and several square miles of woods where
Turkeys are abundant.   Another woman about three miles north, also with her
back to the mountain, feeds turkeys, sometimes has up to 60 at a time.

The Turkey first built its nest on the steps leading up from the garage to the
house.  Carol removed it for fear of stepping on it, and the Turkey built
another among boxes in the garage.  Carol didn't know the Turkey had rebuilt
until she came home one day and found 8 young.  She chased them away, but they
returned for two more days, until apparently the mother thought they were
mature enough to leave.

The past few weeks we (David and Gloria) have had a female Turkey feeding on a
raised board in our yard where we put out corn and bird seed.  She sometimes
takes a few ornamental strawberries first.  We think it may well be the same
Turkey that nested at Carol's, 1/2 mile away.

I would be interested in hearing if there are other observations of Turkeys
nesting in houses.

David Patterson
Chattanooga (Ooltewah)
Hamilton Co., TN