[TN-Bird] Three Scoter Day

  • From: leica2bird@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 17:45:25 -0500 (EST)

Birders at the Chickamauga Dam, in Hamilton Co, had a three scoter day late
this afternoon.

David Hollie and Andrew Theis (sorry if I misspelled your last name!) put out
the alert of a juvenile male Long-tailed Duck mid afternoon. Many birders came
out to the dam to see this bird.

While looking through all the Redheads, Canvasbacks, and Greater Scaup, 24
White-winged Scoters were counted by Tommie Rogers. The female Black Scoter was
also there with the White-wings. The male Surf Scoter was located farther out
with the numerous Buffleheads!  Also a pair of Red-breasted Mergansers were
spotted out with the Buffleheads, and then flew close to the dam with all the
other ducks.

Needless to say, we had a wonderful afternoon at the dam.

Libby Wolfe
Ooltewah, TN