[TN-Bird] Re: The Rankin WMA Ruff and Buffy Report, 29-30 Aug 2011

  • From: "Richard Knight" <rknight8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 08:56:21 -0400

The number of Buff-breasted Sandpipers at Rankin (42), to my knowledge,
establishes a new high count for the state.  The previous record was 25,
also
at Rankin 4 years ago.

Does anyone know of a higher count?
There is nothing higher mentioned in The Migrant or Robinson (1990).

As Scott noted, the Bonaparte's Gull sighting ties the second earliest fall
date in the state and is the new early date for East Tenn.
Four gull species at one site in one day in Aug in TN is remarkable.

Rick Knight
Johnson City, TN

at close range, without disturbing the shorebirds.

> During a tour this morning of the Joachim Bible Refuge in Greene Co., I
> photographed a pair of cooperative Barn Owls, that also never flushed.
> I photographed a Traillâ??s Flycatcher, which was left unidentified
> because it was silent.
> http://www.pbase.com/shoeman/image/137673836
>
> Great Birding!
> Scott Somershoe