[TN-Bird] The Grouch is Back! Ensley

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 19:18:05 EST

Dec. 6, 2009
Ensley Bottoms
Robco Lake, TN
Tunica/Tate Co. MS

A turn around Ensley Bottoms on Sunday, revealed changes in  the birds
present from earlier in the week, a few Brewer's Blackbirds, a  small group of
Lapland Longspurs mixed in with the Horned Larks and 6  Western Meadowlarks
were among the newcomers. Two "calurus" light morph   Red-tails perched
around with some eastern birds but suddenly a familiar  voice, over head came a
long drawn out screech and the continued  fussing was immediately recognized;
the GROUCH was back for its 4th year.  The rufous morph Red-tail ( the
noisiest Red-tail I've ever known) was  again on site and letting me know in no
uncertain terms it did not like being  disturbed. Photo:
_http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/image/105581507_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/image/105581507)

At Robco Lake, the numbers grow, Lesser Scaup and Ruddy Ducks rule the
roost but Gadwall, Wigeon, Mallard, Shoveler, Pintail, Green-winged Teal,
Canvasback, Redhead, Ring-necked, Greater Scaup, Bufflehead, and Hooded Mergs
were scoped out of the mix. The returning leucistic Lesser Scaup and a male
Lesser with a RED bill saddle were nice to find. Nothing unusual but
expected  soon.

In Tunica Co. MS, numerous flocks of Laplands and flocks of Brewer's
Blackbirds were found at multiple locations. Large numbers of gulls in the
fields and soaring over the dump gave up only single Herring and Franklin's
Gulls. The sky was occasionally blacked by huge masses of Ross's, Snow and
Greater White-fronted Geese.  All the regular raptors were seen including a
female Merlin and the intermediate dark morph Harlan's has returned to its
favorite perch. Photo:
_http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/image/120093455_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/image/120093455)

At Arkabutla Dam, Tate and DeSoto Co, MS, the blizzard of white birds  was
the second largest concentration of Bonaparte's Gulls I've ever seen (  Mark
Green and I had an even larger snow storm of birds at Big Sandy one  day)
but only a few Forster's Terns were left from the earlier glut, and
scattered Ring-bills but I'm sure the delta birds will return at dusk each day
roost on the lake. No Western Grebe and only 2 Common Loons were seen among
the flotillas of 16 duck species, including a single female Common Merganser
in  a group of Red-breasted Mergs.

Good Birding  !!!
Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that  lifts my heart to the heavens.

                       MAP RESOURCES