[TN-Bird] Territory of Carolina Wrens

  • From: "thelma hughes cumbie" <thelmahughescumbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee birders TOS" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 13:38:54 -0400

Research has not given me the information needed.  Do so hope that someone has
some knowledge of Carolina Wren breeding and how much area they need to
tolerate other Carolina Wrens also breeding near their nest..
In my back yard there are two Carolina Wren nests within a few yards of each
other... One is under the lid of  the up-right propane gas container.  The
second is in a bluebird house.  Both are in the backyard and within a few yards
of each other.

Checked out the nestlings in the gas container... they are showing feathers.
The adults are constantly searching for food in the yard...

My question is how many Carolina Wrens could be in the yard?  Two males and two
females?  One male and two females?  Surely not one male and one female or two
males and one female?

Wrens seem so territorial that I am surprised that two nests were built so
close together.  Brown Thrashers must have a nest in the area, too. The
thrashers are often in the yard searching and finding food. The wrens and
thrashers do chase each other at times.

Fascinating... but would like more insight!

Tess Cumbie
Buladean, NC

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES