[TN-Bird] TN bird East TN Scissor-tailed flycatcher update-SequatchieMarion Cos

  • From: Davchaffin@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:18:39 EDT

TN Bird,
Becky and I spent about 5 hours and 200+ miles yesterday checking on two of
the Scissor-taile flycatcher spots.  First went to the Powells Crossorads
area(nr jct of US 127 and East Valley Rd-also TN 283), but a 30 min vigil there
from 11-11:30 am was not productive.  Going to South Pittsburg HS football
stadium, we found 2 adults.  One was staying close to the light tower
platform(mesh
bottom) in the NE corner of the field, while another adult was feeding from
the wires at the east end of the field.  I am glad Becky was along, becsause
she
saw the pertinent things, including one of the adults carrying off a fecal
sac, as well as a fluttering appearance coming from the nest area-presumably
from young.  I believe this is the spot described in email by Jerry Ingles
dated
19Jun, and found by Johnny Parks.  Thanks guys!  Stfc was a state bird for Bec
and a year bird for me.
We did not have time to check the area also mentioned by Kevin Calhoun on the
last Chattanooga RBA of another South Pittsburg location.

Good Birding,

David Chaffin
Cleveland TN
Bradley Co