[TN-Bird] Sunday birds by bike

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 19:57:31 +0000

I heard or saw 63 species of bird in Rutherford and eastern Williamson Co.
during three hours of cycling in the cool, windy weather this morning. I missed
a bunch of common things I usually see, but then again it was really windy.

A few notes:
9 species of warbler, including Blue-winged, Kentucky, Tennessee, Yellow
Warblers, and Yellow-breasted Chat, among other expected warblers.
4 species of vireo, incl. a Warbling Vireo in Rutherford Co. in the same spot
where I had a bird in June 2010.  I actually slowed up at this spot and
listened on the outside chance for a Warbling and surprisingly heard one sing 3
times.

Red-headed Woodpecker - 1 in Nolensville, Williamson Co.  It's getting pretty
hard to find this species in this part of the state this time of year.

Orchard Oriole - at least 12 (in both counties)
Baltimore Oriole - 4 (in both counties)
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1 (Williamson Co.), I actually saw this bird flying north
while riding easy and stopped to get a good look.

I know I missed a lot as I was riding into the 15+ mph headwind for a long time
and wasn't thinking about or looking for birds.  It was still a nice birdy
morning all things considered.

Good birding by bike,
Scott Somershoe

State Ornithologist