[TN-Bird] Sunday TOS Pace Pt Trip

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 22:42:27 -0500 (EST)

David Trently or I will try to put together a better list and
report later but I wanted to get a quick note out on some birds
seen by the group that left the TOS Fall Meeting and did the
Paris Landing - Pace Point trip on Sunday (29 Oct 2006).  The
group started with about 15-18 with 8 hardy souls making it all
the way to Pace Point, then David and I stopped briefly at the
Duck River Scenic Overlook on Birdsong Rd on the long way
back to Knoxville.  I'll mess the names up as bad as I did
the navigation if I try now to list everyone (right, left,
whatever).

Highlights only...

WHITE-WINGED SCOTER, 1 1st-winter at Pace Pt

AM WHITE PELICAN, 3 near the bridge at Paris Landing seen from
Pace Pt

dowitcher sp., 3 seen WAAAAY in the distance from Duck River Scenic
Overlook on Birdsong Rd.  Shorebirds belly-deep that never stopped
probing the mud to lift their head... too chunky for Stilt SPs

FRANKLIN'S GULL, 6 at end of Bull Durham Rd (which is labeled
Old Hwy 79 in the TN gazateer) near Paris Landing

LAUGHING GULL, 1 1st-winter at Pace Point

LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL, 1 adult, 1 probable 1st-year at Pace Pt

(also Ring-billed, Herring 15+, Bonaparte's 11 at Bull Durham Rd
for a 6 gull day in TN)

FORSTER'S TERN, at least 7 at Britton Ford

BUCK MOTH (Hemileuca maia) 1 at Pace Point, one of the Giant Silkworm
Moths, seen about 2PM flying through the woods just like they're
supposed to be seen.  LIFE MOTH for me but no photo :-(

Also nice...

thousands of ducks, mostly Gadwall and Ruddy (especially at
Britton Ford) with good numbers of Lesser Scaup.  Full list
I think:
Canada Goose, Wood Duck, Gadwall, Am Wigeon, Am Black Duck,
Mallard, N Shoveler, N Pintail, GW Teal, Redhead, Ring-necked
Duck, Lsr Scaup, WW Scoter, Bufflehead, Ruddy

Common Loon, 40+ out from Pace seen from Port Rd, all seen as
more than distant unIDable specs were Common

Good numbers of Pied-billed and Horned Grebe

Great Egret, 12+ at Duck River Scenic Overlook on Birdsong Rd

Bald Eagle, 1 at Paris Landing, 2 at Duck River Scenic Overlook

American Coot, all of them

Tree Swallow, several throughout the day

I'll leave the butterfly list to David but at least a dozen
species were seen which seems really good for late Oct.  Also
Common Green Darner and Eastern Pondhawk dragonflies and a
couple of damsels that David can ID.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES