[TN-Bird] Sunday, January 2nd

  • From: Cynthia Routledge <routledges@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 18:58:31 -0600

Dear Birders:
 We had the chance today to run by the Clarksville Marina (The Shell Station)
and we're happy to report that the White-winged Scoter is still present.  Today
he was feeding to the far left along the rocked bank.  Also present were 6
Lesser Scaup, 1 Shoveler, 1 Ruddy Duck, 1 Female Hooded Merganser, 1 female
Redhead Duck, 1 female Bufflehead and 189 Ring-billed Gulls.
From there we ran by Dunbar Cave Lake...still present were the Redhead Ducks,
the Canvasbacks, Ring-necked Duck, Ruddy Duck, 15 Mallards and about 125 Canada
Geese that we've seen for a couple weeks now.

On our way to a late lunch in Nashville with friends we took a small detour and
stopped by the lower parking lot at Beaman Park, in Davidson County to
specifically find the Red-breasted Nuthatches that have been reported to be
there.  We pulled into the parking lot and in no time found 2 of them feeding
in the tall Pine trees near the Port-a-potty.  From there it was a quick trip
by the dam at Percy Priest.  There were a thousand plus Ring-billed Gulls on
Lake.  We spotted one or two Common Loons almost to the far side and about 50
American Coots.  It was very quiet below the dam with the exception of a few
runners and 3 kids rolling down the big hill.

And so our 2011 year list continues.

Have a great week.  And as always,
Happy birding!

Steve and Cyndi Routledge