[TN-Bird] Standifer Gap Marsh, Least Bittern

  • From: "David & Gloria Patterson" <dgpatterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <SEFC-Birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 15:29:49 -0000

LEAST BITTERN, 1 heard near south end of beaver dam
  Jan Chadwell, Libby Wolfe and I heard one May 4
  at the north end of the marsh, from the gravel road,
  but we didn't clearly recognize it at that time
  I believe Kevin Calhoon saw or heard one here about
  two weeks ago
  The last two years the Least Bittern was most frequently
  seen from the gravel road, flying across the open water
  about every half hour.
KING RAIL, good views at the ditch between the ball fields around 7:30 AM.
  It didn't try to hide or run away, yesterday or today.
  The rest of the morning it was calling in the grass next to the marsh.
  It appears it may feed in the ditch early in the morning, and then
  as construction noise increases it retires to better cover and shade
  at the nearby edge of the marsh

Virginia Rail,  Active and fairly easily seen and heard at numerous locations.

Sora,  Quiet today

Marsh and Sedge Wrens, 0, even though I made a special effort
  to find them

Northern Oriole, 1

Bobolink, 0

David Patterson