[TN-Bird] Standifer Gap Marsh 12-22-2005

  • From: Jacob Job <zjrj5@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TN Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 10:16:01 -0800 (PST)

Very productive morning at the marsh today.  I birded from 815-1215.  Very cold
in the morning, but warmed up quite nicely.  Several new species of birds for
me and several familiar faces I had not seen in a while.  Most of the water was
frozen, keeping all the waterfowl in the same general area making it easy to
observe.  The species are as follows:

  American Coot 112
  Northern Shoveler 35
  Mallard 24
  Gadwall 150+
  Northern Pintail 6
  Green-winged Teal 46
  Pied-billed Grebe 4
  Ring-billed Gull 7
  Great Blue Heron
  Belted Kingfisher 2
  Killdeer 2
  Red-shouldered Hawk 2
  Downy Woodpecker 2
  Eastern Phoebe
  Brown Thrasher 2
  Northern Mockingbird 3
  Eastern Meadowlark 12
  Blue Jay 3
  American Crow 11
  Carolina Chickadee 2
  Tufted Titmouse
  Sedge Wren 2
  Winter Wren 2
  Carolina Wren 4
  Orange-crowned Warbler:  Great look at about 5 feet away in the ditch in the
reeds, let me watch for about 2 mins.
  Yellow-rumped Warbler
  European Starling 26
  Red-winged Blackbird 18
  Rusty Blackbird 4:  Behind the access road in the back, on the water and
green plant material, great looks at them.
  Song Sparrow 10
  Field Sparrow 2
  Swamp Sparrow 24
  White-throated Sparrow 4
  American Goldfinch 15+
  Eastern Bluebird 3
  Northern Cardinal 5

  Also, 1 muskrat, 3 whitetail deer, 1 of which walked by me until I grunted
like a buck and turned and started walking toward me and would stop and I would
grunt again and she would continue to creep toward me.  She got within 40
yards, then a car pulled up and she ran into the woods.  Very neat morning.  I
plan on being out there sat. morning around 830 or so if any one is interested.

  Jacob Job
  Johnson City, TN
  ETSU

  Ooltewah, TN