[TN-Bird] Sparrow hawk makes catch

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:49:31 EST

Hi again from my home in Charlotte Park, West Nashville where I earlier
reported having a sparrow hawk threatening visitors to my "Smorgabird."  The
sparrow hawk just flew onto my deck scattering birds everywhere, but did get
himself
a mouse that had joined my birds for a bit of din-din.  The hawk flew up to a
light wire in the next yard.  As I watched through the binoculars, fearing he
had one of my birds, I saw the mouse's tail waving in the wind.  The bird
then took his catch to the top of a light pole in the neighbor's yard where he
is
now in the process of devouring it.  Oooops, just checked again, and he flew
off to the West with about a third of the mouse carcass in his claw.  Do you
suppose it might be a love offering to a girlfriend some place in the
neighborhood?  Or, he could have gone to find a calmer place to eat the rest as
the
wind was knocking him around pretty roughly up on top of the pole.  We have a
little front coming in that the weather reports say may bring us some flurries
and 27 degrees tonight.
Since the sparrow hawk came across the deck from the South side of the house,
I think he has been hiding in a neighbor's tree this afternoon just waiting
for an opportunity.  He's welcome to all the mice he wants, but I will probably
cry if he gets any of my little birds, unless it's a starling which he
probably won't even consider.

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN