[tn-bird] Snowy Owl & Tree Swallows

  • From: Leigh Loveday <lkloveday@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 05:47:19 -0800 (PST)

We made the trek from Knoxville to Falmouth, Ky 3/16
Saturday (215 mi. one way), & after some minor road
searching, we found the snowy owl in a plowed field on
Old LLL Highway (take Hwy 27 towards Falmouth, & about
3- 4  mi. before you get to town, take a right on
Bishop Ridge Rd., then the next left on to LLL. LLL
also "Y's" into 27 further down...) .  We watched this
gorgeous mature male preen his "white as the pure
driven snow" feathers from about 50 ft. away, then he
flew to about 70 feet away  from 1- 1:45 pm. In that
time 5 other cars came to visit.  Other than an
occasional glance, the owl seem really unconcerned
about being the focal point of attention.

We went to Lake Kincaid State Park nearby, but little
bird action was seen.

We stopped by the same spot on the way back, & Leigh
spotted the owl on a fence post about a 100 yards from
the road. We talked to a local birder,  & the owl was
first spotted on Feb. 18.  It was not there last year,
but one was spotted in Grant County, Ky last Nov. on
top of Grant High School.  We also saw Am Kestrels, E.
Meadowlarks, & Red-winged Blackbirds, Dark-eyed Juncos
in this area, & on the ridge road above this field.

We had a good hot square meal in Cynthiania at
Biancke's for anyone in need of sustenance.

A quick drop by Cove Lake State Park on the way back
just before dark resulted in seeing about 20 Tree
Swallows feeding on insects above the water. It was a
real treat watching their aerial display.

One more note: We took both Hwy 62 & 68 to/from I-75.
68 offers some grand stone wall fences along many
miles of the road that were built by Irish Masons in
the early 1900's.  Take Exit #113 to go 68E route.

Thanks to all who posted about this Snowy Owl. It
certainly encouraged & motivated us to make the
effort.  This is what the birdlist is all about.

Robert & Leigh Loveday
Knoxville, TN