[TN-Bird] Sightings Report 26-30 March 2007 Ensley Bottoms Area, Memphis, Shelby County

  • From: "John Walko" <walko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 17:24:18 -0500

Sightings Report 26-30 March 2007 Ensley Bottoms Area, Memphis, Shelby
County

Went down at lunchtime Monday(26th) and didn't find much. Pects, and Least
Sandpipers with the Northern Shovelers and Geese in the newly dug areas west
of the sludge ponds. Geese with eggs in their nests out in pond #4, some
Pects running around with the Killdeer. Could'nt get to the big pit since
the levee was blocked off due to pumping operations.

Thursday (29th) I went back, same as Monday except a few more Pects close in
on pond #4. Close to 25 Shovelers in the newly dug areas on the west side.
As I was turning around down at the high end between ponds 4 & 5 (still
blocked from the front) Had to put it in park to take a phone call as I was
sitting there I noticed the big group of Shovelers in the Southern most
large depression with water. Out of the corner of my eye I caught something
fly in low from the west. Put the scope (still a loaner) on them and lo and
behold a pair of FOS Black-necked Stilts. After ten minutes they lifted off
took a circle around squawking away, one landed over by pit #5 and the other
sneaked back into the depression with the Shovelers.

Birds are still a bit far away with the little 22x scope I'm borrowing and
my bino's but it's better than nothing. Did have a couple birds near the
levee for real good close looks but no camera today.

Dredging has ceased at the TVA ponds. Small float of Coots(55) and L.
Scaup(65) and a PB Grebe on the big pond, and only 17 Scaup and 2 Gadwalls
on the Small pond. Riverport Rd ponds and sloughs also devoid of waterfowl,
C. Geese (4), Gadwalls(2) and Mallards(2) were the count.

Haven't seen a GB Heron in 10 days now anywhere until Thurs night at the
house in Collierville. While cleaning the yard I looked over the wetlands
behind the house and two big birds were coming out over the bottoms, I
grabbed my bino's and lo and behold a GB Heron and better than that the next
bird was FOS Great Egret both heading into the setting sun. I realize most
of the Herons are probably congregating at the rookeries now, wherever they
are.

John "Jay" Walko

Collierville, Tn

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES