[TN-Bird] Sightings Report 12 May 07, Ensley Bottoms area, Memphis, Shelby County

  • From: "John Walko" <walko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <dickpreston@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 00:43:37 -0500

Sightings Report 12 May 07, Ensley Bottoms area, Memphis, Shelby County
Location:     TN 2 Mem, Maxson Wastewater Lagoons(The Pits)/Earth Complex

Observation date:     5/12/07, 2.5 miles driven, 5-730pm

Notes:     THe day was looking good as I entered the pits around 5pm (broken
cloud cover) rain threatening to the south and east, as the tailing puddles
had about 200+ birds bathing and preening, mostly small peeps. pit #4 had a
lot of peeps in it. Least, Semi's, Pects and some White Rumps. A good
1500-2000 birds along with the other regulars. However I didn't give them
much time since I wanted to see the Phalaropes and Stilt Sandpipers in the
big pit. Semipalmated Plovers still mixing it in good with the rest of
birds. Blk-necked stilt numbers down. (I may have missed some that were
laying low on nests) The big pit was very disappointing and bare until I got
down to the turn going back to the back corner and I saw the small flock
that consisted mostly of the Stilt Sandpipers(11) and smaller birds. Not
until I got down to the back corner did I see some more good birds. The
Phalaropes which I thought had gone, had joined some Black-necks(2) back
here along with some more Stilt Sandpipers (8) and a handful of peeps and
three yellow legs. Majority of the yel legs were in the side ponds or the
puddles. Not many Solitary left either today usually I'd flush a dozen or so
traveling down the levee but really finally saw them in the back corner and
not that many. Dickissels singing their hearts out outnumbered the
Solitary's today as I drove the fields on exiting. E. Kingbirds hawking for
thier meal from small bushes along the back levee and up at the fields below
the steam plant.

Number of species:     32

Canada Goose     24

Wood Duck     1