[TN-Bird] Re: Shrikes and Quail - A War on Wildlife

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: aves7000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, TN-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 17:49:27 EST

In a message dated 1/20/2009 1:44:22 PM Pacific Standard Time,
aves7000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
A short story - in 1999, Dollyann and I were priviledged to look for and see
the Hawaiian Crow on the main island of Hawaii. At that time there were only a
pair (past breeding potential) and a lone male left in the wild. When we saw
one of the pair, I got the overwhelming feeling I was staring, point blank, at
extinction. It was NOT a pleasant feeling.

Ron's story reminds me of seeing 9 of the dusky seaside sparrows that used to
populate the area just across the bridge from Titusville to Merritt Island,
FL, in the early 1950's.  The birds were all in the myrtle bushes up near the
road and thrilled us all with their spring singing and breeding coloration.  I
always visited them when I drove over there from Orlando and usually found at
least one or two.

 Some time later (don't remember exactly when), NASA took over all that land,
and suddenly the few duskies that were still there were moved to an area
along the St. John's River where they didn't fare well.  The next thing I heard
was that only 5 remained and were taken to reside in a special part of Disney
World where I understand they were not on display.  They were cared for by the
vets in the animal hospital facility there, I understand.  A while later, there
was a news item that the last dusky had died, leaving them extinct. Seems the
last five were all males.  I shed a tear every time I think of it, as the
dusky was my very favorite of all the seaside sparrow family, and I really miss
the little darlings any time I have been to Merritt Island.  Much of the
history of the birds occurred while I was in graduate school or working in New
York,
so I don't have ALL the details.

As for bob white, our old Florida farm was overrun with them in the 1940's.
My dad used to sit on the porch on Sundays and imitate their calls.  I've seen
flocks of 15 to 25 walk from the woods north of our house across our front
yard and into the orange grove.  Once in a while, Daddy would take his 22
calliber rifle and go hunting in our 600 acres of woods and bring back plenty
enough
for dinner.  Yes, Daddy was a crack shot who  always got them in the head,
thus leaving the meat undamaged. Quail are delicious, and I do wish they were
still VERY plentiful.

The last loggerhead shrikes I've seen were at least three years ago.  There
was 1 in Bell's Bend, 1 near the intersection of Annex Avenue and Premiere
Drive in Charlotte Park and one on Charlotte Pike where American Road comes in.

All were at times far apart,and I reported each when I saw it.

We really do need agencies all over the country who can manage our endangered
species before any more become extinct.

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN
steps!