[TN-Bird] Showering mourning dove

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 16:15:43 EDT

Greetings from Charlotte Park in West Nashville just east of the Cleece's
Ferry Ramp.
Today, as the rapid rain moved in from the West, I noticed a lone mourning
dove perched on an open branch in the hackberry tree immediately behind my
deck.
 As the rain picked up accompanied by the wind doing the same, the mourning
dove lifted its wings and held the insides of them up to the raging shower.  It
folded them back against its body in a few seconds and then repeated the
action over and over.  It would keep its wings spread anywhere from 10 to 40
seconds each time and appeared to be enjoying taking its shower.  It did this
for
the entire 15 minutes of the rainfall to the point that I half expected the
bird to pull out a bar of "Dove Soap" and begin swabbing its underwings!  The
rain has been finished for about a half hour, and the dove is still perched in
the same spot presumably drying out.  It was an awesome sight.

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN