[TN-Bird] Shorebird Returns and Black-necked Stilts - Ensley

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 08:39:25 EDT

July 3, 2004
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

Searching every nook and cranny revealed few returning shorebirds but a
burgeoning crowd of Black-necked Stilts at Ensley. Killdeer were evenly
distributed
like they had been sprinkled about from a pepper shaker; they also are
enjoying a good nesting year. A single Lesser Yellowlegs, 9 Least Sandpipers
and a
single Western Sandpiper was the crop of returnees so I turned my attention to
Black-necked Stilts. There are still adults fighting over whose girl friend is
whose and couples building nests, improving existing ones, nest being
dutifully set upon, nest that have been raided and nests with eggs that have
been
abandoned.

After 3 circuits I came to a total of 137+ adults, 3 flying young, too many
fuzzy new babies and lanky juveniles to count. I would count 2 small balls of
fluff at one location only to find 3 the next trip. Family groups would pop up
and disappear almost as fast as I could count.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN