[TN-Bird] Shelby County Sep 18 Fall Count

  • From: "William Peeples" <wpeeples@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:46:32 -0500

Fall Migratory Bird Day Count
Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park
Eagle Lake WMA
Shelby Farms

Shelby Co., TN (Memphis)

As of 5:45 PM, our fall migratory bird day count has reached 95 species (still
waiting on a couple or more reports).
I wanted to post now because there was an Alder Flycatcher which I saw and
heard this morning at Picnic Number 3 Shelter in Shelby Forest State Park.
There are very few records defined to this species for west TN in fall.
Like many Empidonax, it does not often sing in spring migration, so I was lucky
to hear this bird today.
Other species of note at Shelby Forest included Philadelphia Vireo, Fish Crow,
Bank Swallow, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Scarlet Tanager and 16 species of warblers
including Wilson's and Northern Waterthrush.
At Shelby Farms this afternoon there was a Sora in the southwest corner of the
large rectangular pond behind "Catch 'Em Lake."

Rob Peeples
Germantown, TN