[TN-Bird] Seven Islands Wildlife Refuge (Knox Co, east Tenn)...and an invitation

  • From: David Trently <dtrently@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 07:51:02 -0400

On Saturday, Sept. 2, Rasmus (visiting birder/student from Denmark) visited
Seven Islands in the morning (list below). I was hoping to help him find some
new birds, especially those that would soon be migrating out of our area. He
did see over a dozen life birds, but there are many more he can still hope
for.

The invitation:
I plan to take him birding again on Monday. We'll spend the morning and
afternoon visiting local sites, showing him habitat of east Tennessee, and
building his US bird list (this is his first visit here). We plan to start on
Sharps Ridge in Knoxville, about 8:00 a.m. Anyone wishing to join us for the
day or part of the day let me know (or just show up on Sharps Ridge to start).
We may go to such places as Kyker Bottoms and Kingston Steam Plant later in
the day.

As for Seven Islands...
while we did get some good birds, Saturday was perhaps the quietest I've
experienced out there. Maybe we happened to go at a time when many of the
summer birds had left, and not many fall migrants had yet arrived. Of course,
being Seven Islands, it was still a very good morning of birding (as it always
seems to be there). Highlights included the two adult BALD EAGLEs circling
low. We saw one go to the ground along the river, and assumed maybe it was
feeding there. But soon we saw it again, followed by the second eagle, which
must have been on the ground there already.
The PROTHONOTARY WARBLER was a nice find, as they should soon be hard to find.
Unfortunately, Rasmus was not able to see the CANADA WARBLER before it flew
off. This could be a hard one for him to find again.
The man-made wetland had no birds on it at all! We were hoping a heron and
some shorebirds at least would be there. (there were also no dragonflies, as
it was about 70 degrees and cloudy)
In addition to the list below, we saw a couple of ducks flying (probably Wood
Ducks), an Empidonax (possibly Least Flycatcher) and possibly an E Wood-Pewee.
One species I really hoped we'd find, Grasshopper Sparrow, was not in
evidence.

Seven Islands list:

Canada Goose
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Turkey Vulture
Bald Eagle - 2 adults
Cooper's Hawk
Broad-winged Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel - 2 female (and/or imm)
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird