[TN-Bird] Seven Islands Trip Report 4-1-07

  • From: jgiocomo@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 10:06:14 -0400

  Seven Islands Wildlife Refuge
 4-1-07
 Southeast Knox County

 With on and off heavy rain showers, 5 people spent the morning birding in the
rain at Seven Islands, and our persistence was rewarded. Here are some of the
highlights...
 Great-horned Owl calling with the Wild Turkeys just before sunrise.
 The Wild Turkeys were in full strut near the constructed wetland area.
 Many sparrows... White-crowned, White-throated, Field, Swamp, Song, and
Savanna.
 Eastern Towhee.
 Many, many Double-crested Cormorants (over 100 flying over and landing in the
river).
 Great-blue Herons (there are now 15 nests on the islands and some are still
building).
 Northern Mockingbirds.
 Northern Flicker fighting with an American Kestrel for a cavity in one of the
telephone poles.
 Purple Martins in the Martin House.
 Tree Swallows and Eastern Bluebirds checking out the new bird boxes.
 Barn Swallows working on their nests.
 Northern Cardinals (one was nest building).
 Northern Harrier still hanging around.

 After spending time at Seven Islands, we drove about 20 miles to see the Bald
Eagle nest on the other side of the river from Seven Islands, about a quarter
of a mile downstream from the nest used the last two years. The nest is located
on private property, and is not visible from Seven Islands Wildlife Refuge. We
were not disappointed. First, we were able to spot the female (we're guessing)
on the nest and looking back at us. After, waiting a little while to see if we
could spot the male, we packed up and started heading back to our cars. As we
started walking away, Wanye S. looked back, and saw the male flying in carrying
what looked like a squirrel to the nest. We then set the scope up again and
watched as he pulled parts off the squrriel while the female watched.

 We let them finish (not) sharing their meal and went up stream a little to
check out some Heron nests. These nests are barley visible from Seven Islands
because they are on the back side of one of the large Islands. We were there
two weeks ago and counted 10 nests. This time there were 14, although some
looked like Mourning Dove type nests (just barley a pile of sticks in a tree).

 Jim Giocomo
 Knoxville, TN

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES