[TN-Bird] Scissor-tailed FC nest Dyer Co. TN

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 07:51:44 EDT

June 1, 2003
Highway 103
east of the Great River Road
Dyer Co. TN

Late Sunday, while still looking around for the Whistling Duck hideout south
of 103 Highway I found a male and female Scissor-tailed Flycatcher along the
eastern leg of Hurd Loop Road near the junction with 103, a mile or more east
of the Great River Road (181). The birds led me on a merry chase covering a few
miles of travel with me loosing and re-finding them numerous times. They we
interacting like a proper couple, flying up and tangling in the air in
beautiful flight displays, so I suspected a nest was at hand.

The chase ended almost an hour later, back on 103 highway, where I was joined
by Betty and Ken Leggett and Nancy Moore. The nest was finally located on the
end of a pivot irrigation sprinkler system. Evidently it had just been
started as there was very little material present and we watched her place
material
in a hidden nook. The tip of this system, as it now stands, is not over 10
feet from the road. If she makes it, it is going to be a very wet nesting
season.
Hopefully with the rain we are having they will not be using the system much
but if they do I'm afraid she will get wet and maybe dizzy from the system
making its slow rounds. A Scissor-tailed mobile home? I hope we can keep up
with
her through the season or relocate any new re-nesting attempts.

I had run out of floppies for my camera but Nancy Moore took a really
colorful photo of the male and also of the female and male at the nest. She
might
share if you beg. The male photo is a winner.

This may be a first Dyer County record for this species but certainly the
first county nesting record.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA