[TN-Bird] Rutherford Co. migrants, 1 Apr 12

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 16:27:04 +0000

Since I've done about no actual birding this spring, picking up birds while
cycling is the best I can do.  On one 3 mile stretch of road in Rutherford Co.
I had 4 N. Parulas, 3 Blue-Gray Gnatcatchers, 2 White-eyed Vireos, and 2
Louisiana Waterthrushes.  It was hilly and I wasn't going very fast.

One singing N Bobwhite was a nice addition and is a bird I don't hear often in
spring.

I ended up with 39 species, which isn't bad considering migration isn't really
in full spring yet and at times I was going fast, wasn't looking around at all,
and couldn't hear many birds.  However, I didn't see a black vulture!  Martins
are not using (or haven't arrived yet) to a usual nesting spot along my route.
Maybe in a couple weeks I'll do a longer ride when migration is in full spring
and hit spots where I know I can find osprey nesting, great blue herons,
scissor-tailed flycatchers are possible, more chances for warblers, vireos,
thrushes, tanagers, etc.  I had 52 species on a ride one day last spring, so
maybe I can top that.  Listing by bike!?  This is just getting silly, but it is
fun and good exercise.

Here's my whole list.  I can't tally individuals for most species while
anaerobic.

Rutherford Co. - north, Rutherford, US-TN
Apr 1, 2012 8:15 AM - 10:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
33.0 mile(s)
Comments:     birding while cycling