[TN-Bird] Re: Rufous Hummingbird Day 84

  • From: RubyThroat@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:02:20 EST

In a message dated 2/17/2005 6:54:12 AM Central Standard Time,
eyesew@xxxxxxxxx writes:
We  almost missed Willie's first visit to the feeder this morning at 6:10
a.m.  because it was earlier than expected.  He must have been really
hungry  as he made three visits within the first four minutes and all of
them were  sitting and sipping ones rather than just a quick hover and
stab.  We  just can't believe how much sugar water he is drinking every
day.   From our observations he seems to do nothing but fly a few feet to
the  feeder, drink the 3 to 1 mixture, and sit in a bush most of the day
(even  as I type he is sitting and preening in the bare bush to the left
of the  feeder).  Yet his appetite seems to be increasing.  My  mother
used to talk about people who ate all the time having a "tape  worm".
We're beginning to believe Willie has gotten one as his thirst  seems
insatiable.  The bonus for us is getting to see him more times  each day
and being constantly amazed at his beauty.

Morning Guys
Thanks again for the wonderful reports.  Your special hummer will  continue
to adjust his first feeding times to reflect the additional length of  daylight
hours.  I wouldn't read anything special into this change in his  behavior.
He is doing as his counterparts in Mexico and elsewhere are also  doing.  As I
discussed with you early on in this process, your hummingbird  is in no
danger from the weather conditions where you live in Tennessee.

May I respectfully suggest that mixing the fluid as a 3 to 1 mixture is not
something that I recommend based on 20 years of studying hummingbirds.  In
fact any solution mixed stronger than the almost universally recommended 4 to 1

mix MAY be counter productive.  IN MY OPINION, besides the tendency of
winter hummer-host to go down that "slippery slope" of stronger and  stronger
mixes, there are other issues.  For instance, the pauses that you  notice
between
feeding sessions in the early morning is probably the Rufous  attempting to
clean the cold, thick solution from his tongue.  If  he needs more sugar, he
will
feed more often.  Trust his  instincts.

In the stronger mixes, especially when cold, you will find that the  fluid
viscosity changes into a thicker solution that almost  certainly tends to
reduce
the efficiency of the fluid being "wicked up" by  capillary action into the
micro-grooves of the tiny tongue.  The  lapping/wicking action is how
hummingbirds extract floral and manmade nectar  from flowers and feeders.
Respectfully, may I suggest that with  hummingbirds, stronger is not
necessarily better.
In my opinion, it is  incorrect of humans to think that "saving the life" of
these wintering  hummingbirds is our mission.

Having a heated feeder that did not freeze has allowed you and many,  many
other of your guests at your home to view this stunning bird over  an extended
period of time.  It is likely that having a dependable source  of nectar to
fuel his foraging activities has made your home a very special  place for this
bird this winter.  However, it is unlikely that he would  have had any
difficulty if he had not located your feeder some 90 days  ago.  He remains a
wild
creature, remarkably adapted to surviving and  feeding in winter.  The point I
am
trying to make is that these birds,  in our region, do not become feeder
dependent and we do not save their  lives in winter.

I decided to mention these items because of the  possible misconceptions that
may occur as a result of your daily  reports (which I love to read).

Take care guys, Bless All.
Bob Sargent
The Hummer/Bird Study Group, Inc.
205-681-2888