[TN-Bird] Rufous Hummingbird Day 69

  • From: eyesew@xxxxxxxxx (Virginia Curtis)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 07:01:04 -0600

We thought the rain and darkness would cause Willie to be later today
but at 6:30 a.m. he hurtled into the light and took a record-setting
quick drink.  It was one of those "you blink, you miss" moments followed
by four more visits that were almost as brief.  We've had so little
sunshine in the last few days he may feel as if he is a nocturnal feeder
now.

We are simply amazed that he continues to stay with us.  Over a month
ago we bought a guidebook and a DeLorme, and made motel reservations for
Minnesota and planned to leave next Monday for a week of trying to find
about 10 life birds in the frozen woods.  But now we are in a dilemma
about what to do because Willie is still here. There may not be another
irruption of owls in Minnesota like this in our lifetime and we may
never have another Willie spend the winter with us, so we are in a state
of indecision.  We have neighbors who would be sure Willie is fed daily,
but we're not sure we can enjoy seeing Great Gray Owls if it means not
seeing our little rufous beauty.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County