[TN-Bird] Re: Rufous Hummingbird Day 54

  • From: RubyThroat@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:36:12 EST

In a message dated 1/18/2005 6:40:53 AM Central Standard Time,
eyesew@xxxxxxxxx writes:
He  stayed at the feeder yesterday afternoon later than any other day so
far -  4:58 p.m. - yet he came earlier this morning at 6:24 a.m.   The
temperature was in the single digits here last night so he must  have
expended a tremendous amount of energy keeping warm.  Even though  Bob
Sargeant has repeatedly told us how hearty these little rufous  hummers
are, we are still always concerned for him when it gets this cold  and
are so thankful when he zips out of the darkness into the  light
surrounding the feeder.

We are torn between wanting him  to stay because we enjoy seeing him so
much and wishing we could catch him  and put him in our car and drive him
back to Arizona (wonder how many laws  there would be against doing
that?).  Bob says he will probably leave  on his own by the end of this
month so if you want to see him, you might  need to do so soon.  For the
last couple of days he has been sitting  in the bare bush to the left of
the feeder and has been more visible than  ever.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis

Morning Guys
Your hummer could be the exception and perhaps stay as late as springtime,
BUT THAT IS HIGHLY UNLIKELY.  He has been a wonderful winter guest, but he  is
just that, a winter guest.

Severe winters will kill some less-than-perfect birds, including Rufous
hummingbirds.  In my opinion, your fully adult bird has already  demonstrated
that
he has the necessary genetic makeup and foraging skills to  survive the cold
weather quite nicely in your region.  Our  limited after-banding encounters
shows that your bird will likely move  south or southwestward before turning to
the west enroute to his breeding  territory.

Don't risk relocating the bird on your own.  There are laws that  prohibit
such an act.  There is also the ethical and moral  question of interfering in
the migratory life-cycle of such a vigorous and  healthy WILD, FREE FLYING
individual.

Unfortunately, you're special hummer can never be identified after it  leaves
your home because it lacks any way to know who it  is once it departs.  There
is a good chance that it will return to  your yard next winter season, maybe
as early as late July or early  August.

Take care guys and thanks for sharing you hummer with so many others  in the
state of Tennessee.

Bob Sargent
Trussville, Alabama