[TN-Bird] Rufous Hummingbird Day 53

  • From: eyesew@xxxxxxxxx (Virginia Curtis)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 06:44:35 -0600

This little guy continues to amaze us as he uses his God-given
instincts/knowledge to survive.  Yesterday afternoon he stayed at the
feeder later than ever - until 4:55 p.m. - and drank for such extended
periods that he began looking like a rufous and white Santa Claus.  His
little belly was so round it was almost comical.  This morning with
mid-teen temperatures and a light snow covering he showed up earlier
than normal at 6:25 a.m. and, instead of his usual check-in sip, he sat
and drank and warmed for almost a minute.  I think we'll begin calling
him Wise Willie because he seems to know when severe weather is coming
and what to do to get through the difficult times.  We supposedly
superior humans might need to take lessons from a hummingbird.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County