[TN-Bird] Rufous Hummingbird Day 51

  • From: eyesew@xxxxxxxxx (Virginia Curtis)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 06:54:14 -0600

Willie came a bit earlier this morning - 6:30 a.m. - for his first check
of the feeder and a quick sip of sugar water.  Within the next few
minutes he returned for two long drinks of about 15 seconds each.  It is
below freezing and I assume he needs lots of energy this morning and so
even with all the Cardinal and White-throated Sparrow activity, he is
persisting.

Because of the funeral of Virginia's uncle being today, I was thinking
this morning of how every relationship we have changes our lives.  Her
uncle taught me to play golf and it became my competitive outlet for
years.  Willie has changed our lives as our schedule has revolved around
his appearances for these past 51 days.  I must have looked for him at
least a thousand times and cannot pass by the kitchen without detouring
to the door for another check to see if he is on the feeder.  At some
point all relationships on earth end ,but when they do we should focus
on the long-term joy they've brought rather than the short-term sadness
we feel at the moment.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County