[TN-Bird] Results of KTOS field trip to Sequatchie Valley (Bledsoe Co.)

  • From: "Jay Sturner" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "flowerpetalsonthecreek@yahoo" for DMARC)
  • To: TN Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 15:01:41 +0000 (UTC)

Hot dang! The KTOS field trip to Sequatchie Valley near Pikeville, Tennessee in
Bledsoe Co. last Saturday was a toasty one, but it was also one of the best in
recent memory. As twelve participants birded this incredibly gorgeous valley we
had great looks at Scissor-tailed Flycatchers (one on a nest), Eurasian
Collared-Doves, a Northern Bobwhite singing just a few feet away, Red-headed
Woodpeckers, Yellow-billed Cuckoos, a Loggerhead Shrike, Grasshopper Sparrows
(one singing fairly close on a fence post), Blue Grosbeaks, and much, much
more. Actually, we had a grand total of 63 species! Not too shabby for summer,
and, as an added bonus, we stopped for lunch at a unique little restaurant
called the Cookie Jar Café. Living up to its name, the restaurant had a
beautiful display of cookie jars, including one of a Snowy Owl!

Many thanks to Clyde Blum for leading us around his beautiful, and very birdy,
area. Special thanks to Starr Klein for helping me arrange this event on such
short notice. Lastly, thank you to all the birders who came along and made the
trip fun. If anyone has pictures, I'd love to see them!

Here's my checklist from the hike:

Jay Sturner
KTOS Field Trip Coordinator
Knoxville