[tn-bird] Reeve update / TN

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, albirds@xxxxxxxxxxx,ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 20:20:17 EDT

July 23, 2002
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co.
Memphis TN

A late trip to the pits revealed the Reeve I found Saturday is steadily
feeding so she will be at least around on Wednesday. She might find it to her
liking and be here for a while after all we had a male stay 60 days one time.

Little has changed in numbers although the Long-billed Dowitchers left but
just as I expected a Wilson's Phalarope has shown up and was frantically
feeding, chasing and snapping insects out of the air with great precision.
The unusual thing is that it is an immature bird, another early seasonal
record. Adults of this species will pass through in July and I've had a
breeding plumaged female on the coast on the 4th of July. Finally a Spotted
Sandpiper put in a showing, bringing the species total for this afternoon to
16.

There are still 14 active nests of Black-necked Stilts and many of the early
hatched young are flying around with Mom and Dad and groups of these families
are coalescing into mobile flocks raising a ruckus. The neat thing is hearing
the flying young giving the "keet-keet" calls that sound so much like
Long-billed Dowitchers. Some of these birds will move on soon but there will
have been almost 400 of these Black and White beauties at the pits this year!

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.