[TN-Bird] Reelfoot Lake Region -Whimbrells (5)

  • From: "Ken Leggett" <kcleggett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 19:25:17 -0500

Glen Criswell and I spent most of  today checking White Lake, Highway 103 Area,
Bogota WMA, Black Bayou and Phillippy.  We were joined later in the day by
Nancy Moore.
The highlight of the day was 5 Whimbrells in a mud flat .2 miles northwest of
the Ibis Hole and .5 miles southeast of the Phillippy Pits in Lake County.  We
were able to get in close and observe them for about 20 minutes.  They were
still there when we left at 5:55 pm.

At White Lake and the Highway 103 area we had species and numbers very much
like Chris Sloan and Jay Desgrosellier had on Sunday there.  Except between
White Lake and a couple of locations in Lake County we had a total of 11
Black-necked Stilts.

On Sunday Betty and I were birding this same area and had a Golden Plover which
we were unable to find today.

There were no significant birds at the Bogota WMA but habitat is still good
there.

Ken Leggett
Dyersburg, TN