[tn-bird] Re: Raptor mortality crisis in Ohio

  • From: CTSnow8618@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, albirds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 16:10:25 EDT

Last evening I spoke with a friend who works at Alabama State Labs and he
said that the West Nile Virus appears to be hitting large birds hard.  The
pair of breeding Golden Eagles at Montgomery Zoo have been lost, along with
several other birds, another Golden was found dead, a Bald Eagle was found
dead in Lowdnes County near here last week and everyone is terribly
concerned.  "Tiger", the Auburn mascot does have mosquito netting over her
cage, so we all hope that it is enough to save her.

He also said that birds that had West Nile a year ago are relapsing and
dying.  This was possibly the most unsettling news of all.

Let's all be sure we don't have any standing water around.

Carolyn Snow
Montgomery